Award for Hospital Hygiene and Infection Prevention
Approximately 500.000 patients in Germany suffer from a hospital infection each year. More than 10.000 cases have severe course. These figures show that new strategies, therapies and also prevention of nosocomial infections are urgently required.
Since 2013, the Foundation grants every two years the Award for Hospital Hygiene and Infection Prevention for scientific work and practical measures in the field of hospital hygiene and infection prevention. The next award ceremony will take place on September 22nd, 2022.
Who is elegible?
Applications are open to health care facilities such as hospitals or rehabilitation clinics and research institutes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Particular consideration is given to projects on topics to reduce nosocomial infections and the control of multidrug-resistant pathogens.
Besides acknowleding publicated work this price should also be an inspiration and support for new projects
- Establishing organizational structures to record hospital infections efficiently, surveillance of infections and occurrence of pathogens, quality assurance
- Improvements in diagnostics, typing and epidemiology of the pathogen
- Development of new therapeutical strategies including new studies describing and influencing the microbiom
- Improvement of prevention of nosocomial infections or spread of antibiotic resistent pathogen, especially for patients on intensive care, development of indicators to record infections better
- Work/Measures helping to avoid infections via multiresistent pathogens
The Robert Koch Award for Hospital Hygiene and Infection Prevention, which carries a prize of 50,000 euros, is financially endowed by B. Braun Melsungen AG and BARMER.